Date: 20/1/2018- 31/1/2018 (12days)
Fee: RM 6,800
Register before: 15/10/2017
Travel style: Trekking
Tour status: Recruiting
Terms & Conditions
- Fee includes:
• Accommodation (guesthouses in New Delhi and Leh, tents during trekking period; 2 pax/ room/ tent)
• Transports (airport transfers, to and fro trekking route starting point)
• Camping Gear (tent, camping mattress, extra warm sleeping bag)
• Local trekking guide, porter, cook (baggage weigh limit under 12kg per traveler)
• Trekking permit
• Full board meals in Ladakh region (D2 to D10)
• Travel insurance (only for Malaysia-based tour members, the point of embarkation and return must be Malaysia. Overseas based members, please acquire own policy, the charges included in Levart’s costing shall be deducted from tour fee)
- Fee excludes:
• India visa fee (6 months multiple entries visa RM 168)
• Flight (Malindo Air international round-trip KL-Delhi estimated cost RM 1,200 – RM 1,600; Air India domestic round-trip Delhi-Leh, estimated cost RM 400 – RM 1,400. Once the trip is confirmed ON, LevArt will inform members to buy own tickets online.)
• Meals in New Delhi (D1 & D11)
• All cost incurred during free & easy sessions
• Optional activities and optional tourist sites
• Tips (suggested min rate: each porter Rs 200/day, each trekking guide Rs 600/day; cost shared by all members)
• Additional cost due to unforeseen calamity (acts of god)
- Group size: minimum 7 pax, maximum 11 pax.
- Booking fee: a non-refundable deposit of RM 2,400 per pax is payable to secure tour booking. The deposit can be returned if the tour is canceled due to insufficient number of participants, or unforeseen calamity (acts of god).
- Balance tour fee settlement: full payment upfront upon registration deadline or when the tour is fully booked.
- Tour Cancellation: Fully paid tour members who pull-out due to unavoidable circumstances with valid reasons, may get partial refund based on a case-to-case review. RM 200 administrative charges applied.
- LevArt reserves the right to alter the fee in the event of a significant spike in fuel prices, airfares, and foreign exchange rates.
- Itineraries are subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances beyond LevArt control. Every effort will be made to operate tours as planned, but alterations in accommodation arrangement and itinerary may occur when deem necessary.
- Trekking on ice-river does involve some risks, you need to thread gently and carefully, to avoid missteps on weak spots, must follow instructions from local guide closely.
- Team spirit and perseverance are essential in completing this trek. Participants should assist local guide and porters in setting up campsite, cooking, and cleaning. Do not litter along the trekking trail.
- Destinations covered in this trek range from 3,000m to 3,700m in altitude.
- Winter in Ladakh could be severe, during day time temperature ranges from -3°C to -10°C and during the night -20°C to -30°C. Must have the right clothing and gear.
- The journey poses uncertainties, including unpredictable weather, road blocked due to landslide or other reasons. If necessary, tour itinerary may subject to change in response to various uncertainties, interested tour members should be mentally prepared to accept changes and be understanding.
- Participants should exercise regularly 3 months before departure, such as going to gym or jogging, to boost your physical fitness level to the optimal.
- During the trekking period, porters will help to carry members’ luggage, camping equipment, and food supplies for the journey. Each participant must limit luggage weigh under 12kg, to avoid overloading the porters.
- Severe winter and extreme cold, especially at night. But this could be overcome with the right clothing and gear.
- The trekking terrain and ice-river surface changes in response to weather conditions, at times slippery, at times snow covered, and sometimes one might need to climb over rocks, crawl on all fours through narrow strips of ice formation, or walk in ice-cold shallow waters to reach solid ground.
- Possibility of suffering from high altitude sickness.
- Lack of shower facilities and modern toilets along trekking trail.
- Camping throughout the trek, sleeping quality could be compromised.
He is a semiconductor engineer by profession, but travel is his passion and a way of life. He likes backpacking, get upclose and engage with the locals during travel, as he appreciates true cultural exchange experiences. The destinations he has covered including western Europe, South East Asian countries, and the ancient Silk Road countries. He has previously stayed in France and Central Asia, and learnt basic French and Russian. In recent years, he is attracted to the high altitude, and has been exploring various hiking routes in Nepal.
In the high elevation Ladakh region of India, during the winter months, heavy snow fall sealed off many roads and mountain passes. Villages nestled in the Zanskar Valley are snow-bound and inaccessible, the only way to the outside world is trekking through the surface of frozen Zanskar River, the route is named Chadar trek. Chadar means “blanket” in local language, aptly describing the Zanskar River turns into a sheet of ice blanket in winter. This route rewards trekkers with amazing landscapes, including imposing gorge, unique ice formations, and romantic moon-lit and starry starry nights. The Chadar Trek is known as one of the world’s wildest and most adventurous trekking route, it has been used for centuries for trade and transportation during the coldest months. It is a trekking journey like no other!
DAY 01 : Kuala Lumpur – New Delhi (6h flight)
In the evening, board a flight to Indian capital city New Delhi, arrival at night, and transfer to guesthouse. Retire early to bed, in preparation for next day dawn flight to Leh.
DAY 02 : New Delhi – Leh (1h30m flight)
Board an early morning flight to Leh, once the imperial capital of Ladakh Kingdom. During the flight journey, admire the spectacular view of snow covered Himalayan ranges. Upon arrival, transfer to guesthouse. Rest and relax to acclimatize to high altitude, Leh is located at 3524m. Afternoon could take a stroll in Leh market or shop for things needed for the trek ahead.
DAY 03 : Leh – Shingra Gongma (3h drive, 2h trek; altitude 3,200m)
Take a scenic drive to Takmar Gongma, enjoy a roller-coaster ride through numerous hairpin turns surrounded by towering snow mountains. En-route, admire amazing view of the confluence of Indus River and Zanskar River, the earlier is fast flowing while the latter is frozen. The drive continues down to the river valley until the road ends, then take your first step on the frozen Zanskar River (Chadar) to trek to Shingra Gongma. Upon arrival, set up tents for overnight stay. Dinner prepared on open fire.
DAY 04 : Shingra Gongma – Tib Baoo (5h trek; 3,000m)
After breakfast, start trekking on the ice river sandwiched by ravine. At times, the ice-river surface is smooth and slippery, at times dusted with snow, some parts the ice is thick and solid, while some parts thin and fragile. Trekking on ice-river could sometimes feel like half-walking and half-gliding, must follow the local guide’s instructions closely to ensure safety. En-route visit frozen waterfall, view the amazing sight of flowing water solidified in the cold and clinging to cliffs. Tonight camping at Tib Baoo.
DAY 05 : Tib Baoo – Nerak (5h trek; 3200m)
After breakfast, resume trekking in the deep gorges until reaching a juniper tree covered with prayer flags, locals pray here for good luck and safe journey. Nearby, there’s a giant frozen waterfall, an amazing ice sculpture work by the nature. Not far above the waterfall, there’s a hanging wooden bridge, that’s the footpath in summer to Leh. Further up from the bridge is Nerak, a village isolated in winter as roads are sealed by snow, the ice-river becomes the only access way to the outside world. Camping at the foothill of the village by the river.
DAY 06 : Nerak (3700m)
Today remain at the same campsite, and have a day-excursion to Nerak village, which lies some 500m above the riverbank. It takes an hour plus of vigorous hike to reach the village, tucked deep in the lap of Himalaya ranges. Admire the beauty of nature surrounding the village and learn about Zanskaris lifestyle. Late afternoon, trek downhill back to the campsite for overnight stay.
DAY 07 : Nerak – Tib Baoo (5h trek; 3000m)
Today retrace your footstep and trek heading back in the direction of Leh. But the route may not appear the same as before, as the ice-river transformed constantly as weather changes, you may be walking through similar yet very different landscape. Along the way, you might also bump into Zanskar villagers or monks heading to nearby towns. Upon arrival in Tib Baoo, set up tents for overnight stay, cook meal on open fire.
DAY 08 : Tib Baoo – Shingra Gongma (5h trek; 3200m)
Continue trekking on the ice-river surrounded by towering mountain cliffs. At times, you may notice the footprints of wild animals on the snow covered ground, such as that of snow fox, ibex, or even snow-leopard.
Upon arrival at the day’s destination, set up tents for overnight stay, cook meal on open fire.
DAY 09 : Shingra Gongma – Leh (2h trek; 3h drive)
This is the last day of threading on ice-river, and your last chance to admire the amazing sight of frozen Zanskar River. Upon arriving at the starting point of the trekking route, transfer by car back to Leh. Check-in to guesthouse, and you could finally have a hot shower, and enjoy the luxury of heated room and soft bed.
DAY 10 : Leh
Sightseeing in Leh, a town populated by people of different faiths; Buddhists, Muslims, and Hindus live harmoniously side by side. Visit Chokang Monastery and Leh Palace, the former mansion of Ladakh royal family, fashioned after the Potala Palace in Lhasa, Tibet. Visit also Tibetan refugee camp to learn how these stateless people adapted to foreign land for three generations.
DAY 11 : New Delhi – Kuala Lumpur
Morning free and easy, around noon transfer to airport, take a domestic flight to Indian capital city New Delhi. Later at night, board an international flight back to Kuala Lumpur.
DAY 12 : Kuala Lumpur
Morning arrive in Kuala Lumpur, end of tour.